Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Thai Shrimp

Over the last year I have really started to like Thai food.  In the beginning it was just the noodles and vegetables but I have become more adventurous and ventured into the curry territory.  It definitely is spicy but that’s what makes it so delicious!  The other night I decided to make Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp found here.  It is by far my favorite “lightened up” recipe I have tried. There is so much flavor packed into this dish!  I really wanted to lick my plate clean when I was finished.  The original recipe calls for Cilantro, but that is one flavor that I can’t stand so I never use it!


Ingredients:
·         1 teaspoon thai chili oil (if you don’t have this, you can use olive oil)

·         4 scallions, white and greens separated and chopped

·         1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste (I used Mild Curry Paste but this brand also has hot)

·         2 cloves garlic, minced (again I used my Spice World garlic)

·         1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined

·         6 oz. light coconut milk

·         2 teaspoons fish sauce

·         Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1.       In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat.  Add scallion whites and red curry paste and sauté for one minute.

2.       Add shrimp and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook about 2-3 minutes.   Be careful of the shrimp cooking to fast, especially if you have a gas stove like I do!

3.       Add coconut milk and fish sauce and mix well. 

4.       Simmer about 2 – 3 minutes until shrimp is cooked through. 

5.       Remove from heat and mix in scallion greens.

6.       Serve over rice.  This is my favorite rice.  It is so quick and easy and it’s already portioned out for you!

Nutritional Information without rice (serves 4):  135 calories, 4.4g fat, 4.7g carbohydrates, .9g fiber, 18.5 g protein

Weight Watchers points per serving: 3 points plus (add extra for rice)

No comments:

Post a Comment