Friday, July 20, 2012

Ground Turkey with Potatoes and Peas

Since I’ve begun to cook every night, I like to try out new recipes.  I had some turkey in the freezer so I thought that I would try this Ground Turkey with Potatoes and Peas again since we liked it so much the first time!  It is such a hearty dish and you really feel satisfied after eating it. 

There are a few things I modified, like omitting the bay leaf and cilantro as well as using a leaner and less amount of turkey.  I would also recommend, and I didn’t do this but have had a problem both times I made the recipe, to microwave the potatoes for about 5 minutes before adding to the meat mixture.  They tend to take a REALLY long time to soften up so I think that might help and I will try that next time as well!
Ingredients:

·         1 medium tomato, quartered

·         3 cloves garlic (Spice World garlic)

·         1 lb 99% lean ground turkey

·         4 scallions, chopped

·         1 cup peas (I used frozen)

·         1 potato, peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes

·         8 oz. can tomato sauce

·         ¾ cup water

·         ½ teaspoon cumin

·         Salt, to taste

Directions:

1.       In a food processor, combine the tomatoes and garlic and pulse until a little bit juicy.

2.       In a large skillet over medium heat, brown turkey and season with salt and cumin.

3.       When meat is browned and cooked through, add scallions, chopped tomato mixture, peas, potato, tomato sauce, and water. 

4.       Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the potatoes are cooked through. 

5.       Serve over rice.

You want a little bit of juice with this one to help mix in with the rice, so I would definitely recommend adding more water if it looks dry!

Nutritional Information without rice (serves 5):  170 calories, 1.2g fat, 15.1g carbohydrates, 3.6g fiber, 4.8g sugar, 26.1g protein

Weight Watchers points per serving without rice: 4 points plus

1 cup of white minute rice: 5 points plus

**The way I calculate my calories is through Calorie Count. You enter in your ingredients (they have brand names) and it will calculate the nutrition for you.  For weight watchers points, I am an online member so I use their calculator.


No comments:

Post a Comment