Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Eggplant Pasta

Since it’s just my boyfriend and I, it’s sometimes hard to find recipes that have only 2-4 servings.  I always find myself doing measurement math!  My mom did buy me this measurement converter though, which really helps! 


The other day I stumbled across this Eggplant pasta recipe from Hungry Girl and it was perfect because it was already measured out for two. This recipe called for two things I really enjoy -- eggplant and feta cheese.  This would also taste good with some chicken sausage in it, which I will probably try the next time I make this!

Ingredients:
·         1 eggplant, ends removed, cut into 1-inch cubes

·         1 cup cherry tomatoes

·         1 cup uncooked Ronzoni Smart Taste Penne Rigate

·         ¼ cup chopped onion

·         1 tsp. minced garlic (Spice World garlic)

·         ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
1 cup crushed tomatoes

·         ¼ chopped fresh basil

·         ¼ cup crumbled fat free feta (this reduces the fat in the serving by 3g)

·         Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1.       Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray the foil with nonstick spray. (I always like to coat my sheets with aluminum foil – makes clean up easier!)

2.       Place eggplant and cherry tomatoes on baking sheet.  Spread them out evenly.  Spray with nonstick spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper

3.       Bake until eggplant is tender and tomatoes are soft, about 15 – 18 minutes.


4.       While the eggplant and tomatoes are in the oven, cook the pasta.

5.       To make the sauce, spray a medium pan with nonstick spray and place on medium heat.  Add onions and garlic and cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.  Stir in crushed tomatoes and red pepper flakes.  Continue cooking and stirring until onions are full softened. 


6.       Add pasta and vegetables to the pan with the sauce and stir gently to coat. 

7.       Top each serving with basil and feta cheese.

Nutritional information (serves 2 -- about 2 cups each serving): 238 calories, 1g fat, 50g carbohydrates, 14.1g fiber, 9.7g sugar, 13.7g protein

Weight Watchers points per serving:  6 points plus

No comments:

Post a Comment