Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Restaurant Review: Daddy's Mims

I love trying new restaurants, especially BYOBs, so this past week we decided to try Daddy Mim's in Phoenixville with our friends Dina and George.  It also helped that we were able to get a Living Social deal for their 4-course Tour of New Orleans, although we were a little disappointed that we were only able to use one coupon. 
 
source: daddymims.com

Only using one coupon gave us the opportunity to try other things on the menu, which ended up being a good thing!  My boyfriend and Dina both got the Tour of New Orleans, which started out with Creole Seafood Gumbo.  It was delicious!  It had the perfect amount of heat to it. 


George decided on the lobster special, which was also a 4 course meal that started with a Lobster Bisque. This was probably one of the best soups I have ever had.  It had a great blend of lobster, heat, and creaminess.

I opted to get an appetizer and an entrée.  For my appetizer, I got the coconut shrimp, which was delicious.  The sauce on top gave the shrimp a nice kick.  If you like spicy foods, than New Orleans cuisine is the way to go! I got too hungry and didn’t take the picture until after I had already eaten some!

The second course of the Tour of New Orleans was the Commander Palace style shrimp remoulade.  This was really good but we were a little surprised you only got two baby shrimp.  In the grand scheme of things, it is a 4-course meal though!

We were really pleased with our meals thus far and we’re excited to try the entrees, however, this is where Daddy Mim’s fell a little short.   For the Tour of New Orleans, the entrée was Shrimp etouffee served over jambalaya paired with Cajun style roasted pork shoulder that was topped with smoked bacon gravy and was served over mashed sweet potatoes.  While this was good, it didn’t live up to the expectations and flavors of the first course.

George had a filet topped with lobster for his entrée, which you can’t go wrong there!

For my entrée, I had the Chef’s Cut of Steak, which this night was labeled as a dry aged steak.  It came with truffle fries.  I was really excited when I heard it was dry aged because that is my favorite, however when it came out, it was definitely not a dry aged steak.  Also, the truffle fries that were under the steak were soggy from the steak sauce.  It was tasty, next time I would definitely opt for something else on the menu. 
Last was the dessert course and Daddy Mim’s definitely knows what they are doing in this department! With the Tour of New Orleans, my boyfriend and Dina got White Chocolate Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce which was the second best bread pudding I have every had (next to my own, of course!). The bread pudding was so moist!

George’s meal came with Banana’s Foster which was good but Dina thought the bananas were frozen.

My dessert was also delicious.  I got the cinnabon bread pudding that was topped with a whipped cream.  The cinnamon flavor really came through in the bread budding.

All in all it was a great night with our friends!  We will definitely be going back to Daddy Mim's again in the near future to try some of the other things on their menu.
Dina and I outside of Daddy Mim's!

No comments:

Post a Comment