Friday, July 27, 2012

Broccoli Orzo

I am always looking for quick and easy meals to make on weeknights, so when I came across this Broccoli and Orzo dish, I knew I had to try it.  Broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables and this recipe combines it with pasta.  Who can resist pasta?! It also calls for a lot of garlic, which I love.  Next time I make this I may add some shrimp or chicken to it.  Oh and I definitely added some parmesan cheese on top!


Ingredients:

·         4.5 oz. uncooked Orzo pasta

·         2 cups fresh broccoli (no stems)

·         4 cloves garlic (Spice World garlic)

·         1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

·         4 tablespoons parmesan cheese

·         Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1.       Cut the broccoli florets into small pieces and steam them for about 8-10 minutes until soft. 

2.       While the broccoli is steaming, cook the orzo al dente.

3.       Once the broccoli is cooked, remove from the pot and chop into smaller pieces.

4.       After the pasta is finished, drain it, reserving about ½ cup of water.

5.       Heat the olive oil in the same pot that the broccoli was in.  Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant.  Add broccoli and season with salt and pepper and mix well.  Add orzo and mixed until combined. 

6.       Add a little of the pasta water to the orzo so that it isn’t dry.

7.       Top each serving with a tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese.

Nutritional Information (serves 4, about ¾ cup): 163 calories, 5.8g fat, 28mg cholesterol, 21.6g carbohydrates, 1.2g fiber, .8g sugar, 7g protein *

Weight Watchers points per serving: 4 points plus*
*Again I use Calorie Count for the nutritional information and Weight Watchers online calculator for the points.

No comments:

Post a Comment