Friday, August 10, 2012

Strawberry and Spinach Salad

I love salad.  I eat one every day at lunch and never get sick of them.  So when my Aunt Cassie sent me over her recipe for a Strawberry and Spinach salad, I knew I had to try it right away! My boyfriend was having a work dinner last night, so I was cooking for one.  I was having two pieces of sausage and feta chicken sausage and thought this salad would be the perfect compliment to that! I never used to be a huge fan of fruit in my salad but the balsamic really brings out the flavor of the strawberries in this recipe.  I really enjoyed it and will definitely be making it again in the future!


Ingredients for the dressing:
  • 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1.5 teaspoons sugar
  • 1.5 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
Ingredients for the salad:
  • 2 cups spinach, rinse and dried
  • 1 cup strawberries, quartered
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions
Directions:
  1. Once the spinach is cleaned and the strawberries and onions are cut, place them on a plate.
  2. For the dressing, heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat and add the balsamic.  Bring the balsamic to a boil.
  3. Once the balsamic is boiling, add the sugar and stir.  Cook until the consistency is that of a syrup, about 3 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat and add the extra virgin olive oil.
  5. Once the dressing has cooled a bit (you still want it to be warm, just not hot), drizzle it over your salad.
Nutritional information (serves 2): 99 calories, 4g fat, 0g cholesterol, 15g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 11g sugar, 2g protein

Weight Watchers points per serving: 1 points plus

No comments:

Post a Comment