Thursday, June 28, 2012

Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese

Last night I decided to make this Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese recipe that I found here.  It was delicious!! It was so creamy and the panko breadcrumbs add the perfect amount of crunch.  I modified the recipe by cutting it in half since it's only my boyfriend and I.  Also, I am not a huge fan of Gruyere cheese, so I swaped that out for 2% mozzarella cheese (I love the Trader Joe's brand). 

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cubed
  • 6 oz. (half a box) Ronzoni Smart Taste Pasta -- I used the rotini
  • 1/2 cup fat free milk
  • 3/4 cup fat free vegetable broth
  • 1.5 garlic cloves, minced**
  • 1/4 cup fat free greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup 2% mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste (one mistake I made was I didnt add enough salt so we had to add it in our servings)
**(I actually love the garlic that is already minced in a jar of water – tastes the same and eliminates all of the work!My mom introduced me to these and now I always use them.The two brands I like are Spice World and Bellino)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and coat an 8 x 8 pan with non-fat cooking spray.
  2. Put the squash, milk, broth, and garlic in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil (watch this process because the milk could boil over) over medium high heat.  Once it starts boiling, lower the heat to medium low and let simmer until the squash is soft.  Mine took about 15 minutes. 
  3. Once the squash is soft, let cool for about 10 minutes.  While it is cooling, cook pasta al dente, about 7 minutes. 
  4. After the squash mixture is cooled, transfer it to a blender and add the greek yogurt and salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.  At this point, it will resemble a sauce.  Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add cheese and mix well.
  5. Once the pasta is drained, add it to the squash mixture and toss to coat. 
  6. Transfer the pasta/squash mixture to the 8 x 8 pan.
  7. Top the pasta with the 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs.  Bake for about 15 minutes or until the bread crumbs are toasted. (This picture is before it went in the oven.)

 
 
The entire recipe makes 4 servings, so there was one serving left for me to bring to work today for lunch!
 
Nutritional Info (makes 4 servings): 303 calories, 7.3g fat, 48.2 carbohydrates, 5.9g fiber, 4.9 g sugar, 16.5g protein
Weight Watchers points per servings: 7 points plus




No comments:

Post a Comment